What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a restoration that covers the entire part of your tooth that is visible above the gum line. Dental crowns are used to restore the look, strength, and function of your original tooth.
You might need a crown to restore:
- Weak teeth, possibly from decay
- Teeth that are severely worn down or already broken
- A tooth that needs a large filling
- Discolored or misshapen teeth
- A tooth that has had root canal therapy
- To prevent teeth from breaking or cracking
- You need a dental bridge to replace a missing tooth
A dental bridge functions in the same way as a crown and can be used to replace one or several missing teeth. A bridge looks like two or more crowns that are ‘fused’ together.
The benefits of crowns and bridges include:
- Improving your appearance
- Covering stained teeth
- Replacing missing teeth
- Holding a filling in place
- To protect a weak or fractured tooth
- To cover a dental implant
- To reinforce the teeth
- To restore a tooth to its natural size and shape
Crowns vs. Veneers
You can also quickly and easily correct esthetic issues with your teeth with minimally-invasive porcelain veneers. Veneers can correct worn down, discolored, chipped, or misshapen teeth. While a crown covers the entire tooth, a dental veneer only covers the front of a tooth.
A veneer is made of a very thin layer of porcelain. This enables light to reflect in such a way to mimic your original tooth’s natural translucence. Very little healthy tooth needs to be augmented to be restored with a veneer.
A Dedication to Our Patients
Whatever your oral health needs, Dr. Gabriela Marquez at Waterside Dental in Port Charlotte will be able to determine the best treatment plan for you. Her passion for dentistry and her dedication to our patients make her an ideal dentist to help you reach your oral health goals. Dr. Marquez is committed to staying up-to-date with the latest dental technology through rigorous continuing education courses. Be sure to read our patient reviews and see why our patients love Dr. Marquez!